- Secured $210 million investment in infrastructure for city of El Paso—streets, sidewalks, lights in May 2012
- Secured $1.3 million from USDA for clean potable water in Canutillo that will serve 87 families
- Obtained $187,000 from the County of El Paso for improvements to the park in Westway.
- Secured a $2 million natural gas project for families in Westway and $1 million for water and sewer for Canutillo.
- Negotiated agreement with Sheriff’s department to ensure it does not perform the tasks of Border Patrol.
- Press Conference with Bishop Mark Seitz on the issue of Unaccompanied Minors. Letter to President Obama with signed by over 100 Bishops and Clergy from the Southwest asking for a humanitarian approach to the issue.
- First-ever verifiable pollution emissions on permits for Arcelor Mittal steel plant in Vinton.
- Obtained city funding for Project ARRIBA, a highly successful workforce development strategy that has lifted 1200+ families out of poverty into in demand occupations that pay a family-sustaining living wage with benefits and a career path. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation recognized it as one of 14 successful workforce models from across the US and the U.S. Department of Commerce placed it in the top twenty program in the nation that represent Workforce Innovation and Economic Adjustment Strategies. According to a report conducted by The Institute for Policy and Economic Development at UTEP, for every dollar invested in the program $24 is returned to El Paso.
Civic Education and Participation: City, County, State, Federal & School District Board of Trustees
- Host nonpartisan candidate accountability sessions prior to elections with 300 and as many as 600 El Pasoans attending.
- Provided testimony in Austin regarding school funding and the effects of testing. We are working with the Canutillo and El Paso school districts to begin a strategy for greater involvement of parents in the education of their children.
Pay Day Lending
- Negotiated with City Council to establish an ordinance keeping community members from being trapped in a cycle of debt and collaborated with a lending institution to establish an alternative lending program.
Wage Theft Ordinance
- Worked with City Council to establish an ordinance keeping employers found guilty of wage theft from obtaining and/or renewing a city license. Currently working on a Living Wage Campaign with the City and County.